Developing Play has always been on our minds here at Biddick, which is why we have decided to focus on making our play-times as stimulating and engaging yet, most of all, FUN for your child at school!
We have teamed up with OPAL; a company who are experts in developing school playgrounds and the activities as well as the ethos’ that help School Play times to change for the positive!
What is OPAL?
Well…like it says on the tin, OPAL stands for Outdoor Play and Learning. Their motto is to ‘create happier play times, better play spaces and enable staff to support new outdoor learning’ which is something we felt very fitting to our ethos here at Biddick Primary. Find out more about OPAL Schools by visiting the OPAL website.
What has happened so far?
So far, we have been extremely busy! What we have been up to;
- All of our children have participated in our ‘Investigation Week’ in which we created our very own ‘Perfect Playground’ where we have seen amazing examples of child-led ideas for what our children want in their playground.
- Pupil Questionnaire about what sort of playground they would like and what activities/apparatus they would like to be brought in.
- Staff and Parent Questionnaire about what ‘Play’ was like for adults in society now and how play has changed for children today.
- Used ‘Investigation Week’ to plan a whole school project about what activities would fit our school here at Biddick.
- Phase 1 of our Playground Plan is ready to get underway!
The Exciting Path Ahead…
So…with spare tyres a-plenty, scorching skateboards and scooters, creative costumes coming out of our ears, sensory zones and substantial amounts of small world apparatus, Biddick are well and truly ready to set sail on our playground adventures! We just can’t wait to get out there and transform our playground; step by step for our deserving children!
If you take a glance at our initial Playground Design plan at the foot of this entry, you will get a flavour of the phased plans which will guide Biddick closer to improving the quality of play and creativity at play times. As expected, with the ever-changing climate of schools, the phases may be tweaked slightly, though any changes to the original draft plan will be made, as always, with the children’s learning and development in mind.
As ever, we will keep you updated with the latest Playground news and events, in which we will be working in close partnership with ‘OPAL’ Schools Playground development team to ensure that your child has the most fulfilling time out there on our playground! We can not wait to get the ball rolling!
Many thanks from the Biddick Staff OPAL Team!
OPAL School Playground
On this page, you will able to follow our exciting and inspiring playground journey. With regular updates and information regarding your child’s play time and how the transformation of our playground is progressing!
Read on to find out a little more about our BIG plans for the yard as well as teaming up with the play experts; OPAL!